Monday, October 1, 2012

Painted dining room table and chairs


A couple of weeks ago, I got a wild hair.  Actually, I got the wild hair about two years ago, but just didn't have the time or fortitude to do anything about it.  I decided it was time to paint my dining room chairs and table.  They needed to be recovered fairly badly and the finish was showing signs of wear.  Frankly, I just wasn't crazy about the golden oak stain, but the lines of the chairs were nice.  

I found the antique door many years ago in Jonesborough, Tennessee.  I think it looks charming just leaning there.


Before.  Not bad, but not great either.


Not sure what happened here, but I am pretty sure a toddler was involved....and perhaps a Sharpie.  My  very kind assistant helped me recover the seats with a pretty new green chenille fabric.


I sanded the chairs, wiped them down with mineral spirits, and gave them a couple of coats of Rustoleum spray paint in black satin.


After they cured for a couple of days, I distressed them lightly and waxed them with brown paste wax.
I also stripped and refinished the table top, staining it with a much browner stain than before.  I gave it three coats of polyurethane, then buffed it out and waxed it with the same brown paste wax.  Now I can no longer move my arms, but it was worth it!


I believe that this was the point when I told a friend that my chi had a twist in it's knickers.  I don't really enjoy a mess in the house.

Yes, that is my vacuum on my freshly refinished table.  There were not very many glamourous moments in this project.

I found some very cool Edison style filament bulbs for my light fixture at my local Lowe's.  


Another angle of the room.



Ahh.  



0 comments:

Post a Comment