Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Vintage-inspired mantel




When I bought my cottage two years ago, I dreamed of having a mantel over my fireplace, and this month that dream came true.  Two of my favorite contractors from L.B. Greene and Sons built and installed it for me.  Almost all the materials were scrap lumber leftover from my renovation.  My house was built in 1929, and I wanted a mantel that looked original, classic, and timeless.


I'd seen this ledge in the Pottery Barn catalog and thought that it had exactly the look that I wanted, minus the chippy paint.  So I picked through my lumber scraps, made a few extra molding purchases, and am so delighted with the results.


This photo was taken at 8am on a Wednesday early in September with a dropcloth already in place.  You can see our challenge as the fireplace wall is sloped.  We like a challenge.


Here are Mr. Greene and Mr. Greene installing the mantel that very afternoon.


This is a close-up of the mantel detail before paint.  The bottom two sections are actually old baseboards that were removed from another room during the renovation.



I couldn't wait to paint it.  I started priming the minute they left.  I also spray-painted the metal firebox cover with Rustoleum Hammered Bronze spray paint.  The broken tile hearth is original.  It reminds me of Fiestaware.


My lovely new mantle is candlelit...just the way I dreamed it two years ago.  Now I am dreaming of window treatments.


0 comments:

Post a Comment