Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Turquoise Pantry






I had a problem.  My pantry was bad news.  Bad news.  It was dirty, unusable, had no shelving, and was just plain ugly.  It had been painted gold circa 1973 with oil-based paint, and had never been changed.   So, I had a wild hair one day and decided to paint it my favorite color.....turquoise.  I wanted to build shelves.  I wanted to claim the space.  I didn't want to work on it for three weeks, but full of the zeal of a new project, I didn't estimate how much work it was REALLY going to take to make it usuable and beautiful.  I brought the paint chips above and the primer home and rolled up my sleeves.  

I opened the door.  Ewwwww.  This is what I saw.  This really was going to take longer than I thought.

Before

I cleaned it out and began to prime.  I should make a note here for do-it-yourselfers that I sanded the walls and door about three years ago, but the other projects I had going put the pantry on hold for a while.  A while equal approximately three years.

Too bright!  Even I was not that bold and had the paint toned down.

Too late to turn back now.

Wall painted twice and door primed.

Time to get serious with the building.  I had constant supervision and perhaps a little judgement from Charlie the cat.

This was about 2 weeks later and I began to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Finally!  The stained shelf at the bottom is for my recycling bin.  I built it high enough to slide my outdoor shoes underneath.  Even added a hook for my grocery bags.

I am so pleased with the results!  Build one for yourself.  You can do it!










0 comments:

Post a Comment