Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mantle makeover

After

Before

Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to makeover this mantle and update these bookcases.  I removed (well, I stood on the floor and bossed my friend RJ Powell into doing it from a ladder!) the items that were on top of the bookcases and raised the painting a few inches.  We added floral sconces that I had custom made from Southern Treasures in Gray, TN and beautiful glass hurricanes from Pier 1.  We also added handmade pottery vases and some fabulous reproduction mercury glass vases from Stein Mart on the left shelves.  The shelves on the right were trickier because they were built so close together.  I asked the homeowner if she had any books we could use to fill out the shelves.  She opened the bookcase doors to reveal many, many antique books.

I had to sit down for a minute.

They were gorgeous.....some over 130 years old.  If you double click on the top photo, you may be able to see them on the right shelves.

The whole family room looks pulled together and polished, just by rearranging the shelves and redoing the items on the mantle.  Pretty!  The photos of this room really don't do it justice.

Simple and elegant after photo.

Pretty side table with orchid arrangement from Southern Treasures.

0 comments:

Post a Comment