Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Power of Paint


Even I sometimes forget the amazing transformative power of paint, though I have seen it countless times.  I was reminded this morning when I saw the before and after photos that blogger Miss Mustard Seed posted yesterday.  She painted her plain Target barstools a beautiful, soft robin's egg blue, and they look amazing in her kitchen.  The power of that color in the neutral room, even though it is not a bold color, is remarkable.


Marion is the master of painted finishes and you can see her work here.  She prefers milk paint and a more heavily distressed finish than I, but she does beautiful finishes with depth and texture and explains the whole process so that a beginner can try with confidence. Miss Mustard Seed


Before
You may have seen the photos I posted of my dining room table and chairs last fall.  The golden oak finish was tired and dated, so I removed the cushions, sanded them down, and painted them with a few cans of my trusty Black Satin Rustoleum.  (Be sure to pay a little extra for the cans with the trigger.  Your hands will thank you!)

After
I also refinished the table top and painted the legs (with a brush) of the table.  What a delightful transformation!  It seems like I have a brand new set.

I distressed the chairs very lightly with fine sandpaper and finished with a coat of brown paste wax.  

Ahh, the power of paint.

0 comments:

Post a Comment