Monday, August 22, 2011

My new old bathroom


I have been avoiding painting my own bathroom for about a year.  Not because I didn't want it painted.....I did.  There was just always something more pressing or more fun to do than bathroom painting.  I had a friend redo the opening over the tub, add new trim on the window, and I had patched and sanded exhaustively last fall.  I just didn't ever seem to get around to painting it until this month.  And wow, what a difference a coat of paint made!  I am so glad that I took the time, finally, to get it done.    Now walking in this room makes me smile.  By the way, the first time I saw this room, it was painted a bright royal blue.  Yikes.


This is all original tile work from 1929.  It is in remarkably good shape.  I knew that practically any color would look terrific with the black and white tile, but that a crisp green would really make it pop.  Unfortunately, I will not be changing the medicine cabinet or light fixture (dreadful!) this month, but wanted to show you anyway.



I did replace the bare bulb hanging from the ceiling with this reproduction mercury glass fixture from Pottery Barn.  Isn't it charming?  It looks like it could have been original.  Look at the cool curved plaster ceiling!


I found these gorgeous dragonfly prints at TJ Maxx, and knew they would be perfect with the color scheme and were extremely reasonably priced.  I never like to spend much on art for bathrooms.  Too much moisture can be a problem for nice artwork.


This pretty black and white paisley and floral toile shower curtain suits the room perfectly, and I was able to find it on Overstock.com for a remarkable price!


Bathtub arch before photo.  What WERE they thinking?


Arch demolition day.


Just need a curtain on the window and this room will be completed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment